Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm going into unknown territory now...

Hello family!

Well, I am excited to say that I am experiencing a new "first" as a missionary...The first time I am spending more than three transfers in one area! Sister Schwanke and I were excited to learn that we will be staying together for another transfer! That will be at least six months in Mayfield for me. Actually, this is a funny transfer, because only one sister in all of Kirtland is getting transferred, and that is only because her companion is training. It's weird that everything is going to stay exactly the same for 12 weeks in a row. That's also untread waters! I'm so glad though, my heart was hurting just thinking about leaving Mayfield. I love it so much. There are so many good things happening here and I am excited that I get to stay and keep throwing everything I have into this area. I know this area is just going to keep building and building! I can feel it in the air :)

Thanks for sending me those pictures of the tour from Naperville! I loved the pictures, and I loved the tour! It was so much fun to take them, and it was especially fun as they talked about Grandma and Grandpa, and even Mom and Scott!  How fun that you got to be in Chicago right before the ward came to take a tour. It was a fantastic tour. I'm glad that they enjoyed it as much as we did. There were some really powerful moments, and lots of fun times too. For instance, you know how nowadays people are always telling "your momma" jokes? Well, we were in the School of the Prophets, and I had asked them what things they learned in school and it was dead silent except for one boy who said history. So I made some joke about how I wished I had gone to their school, and suddenly, real quiet in the back, one of the YM said "Your mom went our high school". hahahaha. Maybe it was one of those "had to be there" moments, but I hope that you can appreciate the humor that we had. I'm really glad you forwarded that email to me from Bro. Boswell. It's especially interesting to hear about Moroni 10:32 becoming their theme for their trip. I have never used that scripture before in any part of any tour, but it's amazing how the Lord inspires us to do certain things. When we were in the School of the Prophets, I felt very strongly that I needed to use that verse. We don't often get to hear the other side of the story, so I'm really glad that those boys appreciated that scripture. I hope that they do always remember their experience here in Kirtland. With the spirit so strong here, it really can be a huge source of strength for them.

As for the non-member special guest on the tour, that wasn't Georgie or Heaven...it was actually Corrina! She has a very interesting story, but it has been one of the best experiences on my mission. Back at the beginning of June, the elders who are serving in Parma came to Kirtland with a family that was getting baptized at the end of July. Corrina was the daughter of the family. Sister Mayer and I got to take them out. Throughout the tour, Corrina gave the impression that she was just a stubborn, somewhat rebellious teenager: they way she dressed (or didn't dress...), her attitude, etc. She kept saying that she didn't even believe in God and she wasn't going to get baptized with her family. We had a fantastic tour, and it seemed the whole time that we needed to focus on her. At the end of the tour, she gave me a comment card that said "Sister Maughan, thank you for answering all of my questions. Now I know that God is there, and He loves me and I'm His daughter". WOW. Now I know it wasn't me at all, and it was completely the spirit but I was so glad I got to witness that. THEN she came back with her family again the week before their baptism, and they brought some more family members who are not members. This time, Sister Schwanke and I got to take their family on tour. She just looked so different! Her countenance had COMPLETELY changed, she was dressed so different, and she was happy! We again had one of the most powerful tours I've been on, especially in the school of the prophets. I wish I could describe how much Corrina and her whole family got out of it, we could all just feel it. Unfortunately, Corrina opted not to get baptized. BUT, she loves Kirtland, and it is here that she has been gaining her testimony, so the elders asked President Sorensen if she could get permission to shadow us as a missionary for a day. She came with us last Saturday for several hours and helped on two tours. She bore testimony, acted on the spirit, and gave all kinds of knowledge about Kirtland! It was an incredible experience. At the end of the day, she said that she was reconsidering, and now she is planning on being baptized. I don't know when-- I only wrote her a letter yesterday--but it has been such a powerful experience to see Corrina change so much. I love that girl to pieces!

Anyway, sorry I am rambling so much today. But I'm just sooooo happy! Life is good :)

Love you all! Happy August!
Sister Maughan




No comments:

Post a Comment