Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How Many Seasons Can You Fit Into One Week?

Well, all we need is some flowers to start sprouting up to count as spring and that will be all four seasons! Although I did plants some flowers yesterday, so that probably counts. I have decided that Ohio may be more undecided in weather than Utah! I didn't think it was possible, but apparently it is. Since I last wrote, we have experienced the brisk fall, the warm summer and even 3 inches of snow. GAH! They weren't kidding when they say Chardon truly is the snow belt of Ohio. THREE INCHES! on November 6th! (There's your birthday present Erin Wilson...happy birthday!) It was sickening. Sis. Debenham and I went running in the morning at 6 am on Saturday and it wasn't too bad, but while we were having personal study we looked outside and it was suddenly a winter wonderland! Unbelievable. Thankfully, it didn't last long, and in true A.D.D. weather fashion, the next day it was 55 and sunny. Whatever. 

This week has been a pretty good week. It went by really fast and ridiculously slow all at the same time. We've had a decent week for missionary work...We're still clearing the board and making room for the elect, but we're getting somewhere slowly. Baby steps. We have had some very interesting lessons this past week. Best one by far (and may very well be the most interesting lesson I'll have on my mission!) was last Wednesday night. The previous week, we had divinely inspired contact with a man named Jim who worked at a gas station. Unfortunately, his mentally ill wife wouldn't let us meet in his home, and he doesn't have a phone number to reach him at so we made an appointment to meet with him last wednesday...at the gas station. haha. Yes friends, we taught the message of the restoration over a gas station counter, between the lottery tickets and the chew, under the light of the cigarettes, interrupted by people buying beer. Like I said, once in a lifetime experience. We had prayers and everything :) It was funny, and remarkably enough, the spirit was really strong! Neat experience, although one that would probably be best not repeated.

Kirtland is absolutely BEAUTIFUL right now! Oh man. With the holidays coming, there is just no better place in the world to be. The day after Thanksgiving, until the 30th of December we are having the 8th annual Nativity Exhibit at sites. They have been setting it up since the second week of October. There truly are no words. It. is. stunning!! HUNDREDS of nativities, THOUSANDS of christmas lights and the Christmas spirit in every single room...oh my gosh. I love it so much. It is named as one of the top 100 events in North America!!! Rightly so, and it hasn't even begun yet! We are preparing for five to six thousand non-members to come through. Not including all the members! It is the second highest place to get referrals in the world, second only to Temple Square itself. Isn't that amazing?!?!?! Unfortunately, transfers are the day before Thanksgiving and I think I may be getting transferred so just in case I get transferred full proselyting (sniff sniff) I'm going to take a video tour of Kirtland and maybe send that home so you can get a glimpse of it. Absolutely amazing.

Wow. James Wilks is home! When you see him, give him a hug from me! Now all that are left on a mission are Pat and Jordan, and that's it! Then all my friends will be home from their missions (minus the ones I was in the MTC with). 

Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers and letters. It means so much to me. Love you all so much! Be safe!

Sister Maughan

No comments:

Post a Comment