Monday, January 31, 2011

Tales of 3 baptisms, two talks, and a bedsheet


This has been a really weird week--a great one, but a weird one! This week Sister Devenport was sick for a while, so we had to stay in a few days, and by association I also got a little sick, so we didn't have a lot of time in our area, but somehow we still managed to have a fantastic baptism, and achieve all of the mission's standards of excellence---aka the goals that the mission has that we will accomplish each week. We really didn't have a lot of time in our area between Kirtland on Tuesday, sickness, district meeting, zone conference, and president interviews, but it's just cool to see how things work out. 

This weekend, as a zone we had six baptisms and 3 confirmations! Our district was 3 of those baptisms and three confirmations! It was such an amazing weekend. Saturday was kind of a crazy day because we had a zone development meeting in the morning, then went straight to Alliance for the elders baptism there. They baptized two sisters--Angela and Kizzy. They had a wayyy stressful time getting ready for the baptism! Angela is 450+ pounds so they didn't have any baptismal clothes that fit her, so all week they have been shopping for something for her to wear. Final product: a white bedsheet sewn onto a white sweater! haha. It looked great, considering what it was. I'll have to attach a picture. The baptism was really great. I had taken them on tour of Kirtland and had actually met Kizzy at the beginning of December when I first got to Ravenna, so Kizzy asked me to speak at her baptism. Seriously, every time I get asked to speak at someone's baptism I just feel so touched. It's awesome to be a part of her baptism, and also Mitchell's because he also asked me to speak. Which leads me to his baptism...

It was perfect! Such an amazing baptism! There was a fantastic turnout from the ward, and Mitchell's family even came and loved it. There really just aren't words to describe how great that baptism was (or how different it was from Dylan's! hahaha) It was one of those moments where I was like "yeah, this is why I am on a mission" :) I'm attaching some pictures of Sister D2 and I with Mitchell and Jason. I can't remember if I told you that they are ADDICTED to weight lifting (Jason is a body builder and is competing this spring) and so that's why we have the muscle picture. It basically describes the relationship we have with them. Good times ;)

Okay, here's the miracle of the week. When I was with Sister Bringhurst at the end of December, we had to set a monthly goal for baptisms and baptismal dates that we would have by the end of January. We prayed about it, and we both felt that in January we would have one baptism and three baptismal dates. Well, about halfway through the month, we realized that we were going to achieve that goal, but at the same time, Sister Devenport and I both felt strongly that we needed to stop teaching one of our investigators who had a baptismal date, aka "drop" her. There was talk that maybe we should wait and drop her in February, but that didn't feel right to me. So we dropped that investigator this week, and found ourselves Sunday morning with 1 baptism and 2 dates, just one date shy of our monthly vision.  But I really felt okay about it and that something would work out. Well, it did. Tabi came to church yesterday for the last time before she begins her trial run at other churches, and we set a baptismal date for her in April! April 6th is the day! It was really awesome to see that happen. But seriously fam, April 6th is two transfers from now, so start praying! haha.

Eric! I'm glad that you had such an awesome birthday! I can't believe you are 24 now, you are such an old guy. haha. Just kidding, you know I love you. But speaking of old guys...Dad! HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY TOMORROW!! That's so awesome! Mom told me the dinner that you guys decided to have at your party on Sunday before the Super Bowl, and I just laughed because I knew that that was exactly what you would have. It wouldn't be your birthday without spice cake and penuche frosting :) Eat a piece for me! I love you!!

Sorry my letters have been so stinking long recently! Just think about it as a longer conversation with your favorite daughter/sister in the whole wide world :) But sadly, this conversation is coming to a close, because it's also Sister Devenport's birthday tomorrow, so we are having a birthday party for her as a district. I hope things are going great for you all! I love you so much! Have a good week!

Love,
Sister Maughan





No comments:

Post a Comment