Wednesday, October 5, 2011

One of those stories that you think will never happen to you...

Hello Family!!

This has been such a great week, although it was really long week though too! Sister Schwanke and I both agree that a pday has NEVER looked so appealing before. It's probably a result of 10 days since our last pday, plus our old tiring bodies needing rest, plus all the hard work this week! whew! But we were able to see lots of good things this week. We found some new investigators, we were finally able to meet with other investigators who had fallen off the face of the earth for a time, we had some awesome experiences chatting, and we were able to find some less active members that we haven't been able to get in contact with! Yesterday, we even had an awesome experience. Sister Schwanke and I were invited to the mission office to attend mission council. This is an all day meeting with President Sorensen, the assistants, and all the zone leaders...and us. haha. There are all kinds of workshops and lessons and role-plays that we do,  and then there is a council in the afternoon where we discuss the needs of the mission and work together to figure out how to improve it. It was a really neat experience to see how the leadership of the mission works. It became very clear to me that we are not the ones in charge of this mission. The Lord really inspired all of us so that we were able to receive revelation that was very specific to the needs of the Ohio Cleveland Mission. It was incredible, really. I was really glad that I was able to go to that meeting and see how the Spirit works.

So we had a real miracle this week. Last Sunday night, we woke up around 11:30 pm to a tapping noise. After quite some time, we figured out that the tapping noise was actually someone at our door! I went to the door and it was our neighbor across the hall. She's pretty young, and a nurse, and I think she used to think we were weird--not totally uncommon haha--until we talked to her one time by our cars and made the nursing connection and told her what we were doing in Cleveland. Anyway, she had been knocking on our door for a LONG time, letting us know that our car light was on. This was extra weird because the light that was on, was the light in the back seat, that we never turn on for any reason. But we were really appreciative, especially because we had 'zoned out' the next day and had to leave extra early that morning. We thanked her profusely, then went back to bed. The next day we wrote her a thank you note, slipped in a mormon.org card for her to check out the website, and slipped it under her door, and that was that.

Fast forward to this past Sunday night. We were getting ready for bed, when we saw that there was a card addressed to us under the door. We opened it, and it was a thank you card from our neighbor! Then we opened it and found a miracle inside -- a wonderful note that shared her faith in God and His hand in her life, and how much she enjoyed the stories and experiences on mormon.org.
It really is such a miracle. Preach My Gospel says that we need to develop faith to find those who are prepared, and that they will find us. This was a huge testimony builder for me. If we live worthy of the Spirit, the Lord will inspire us and well trust us with His children. Now we have this goal to remain as humble as possible and receptive to promptings so that we go forward the way that the Lord wants us to. I have no idea what the future holds for our neighbor, but I know whose Hand was involved in two nursing students/missionaries living right across the hall from a nurse who is searching for truth in her life...

All I really have to say is that missions are the best! I'm so glad that I get to serve and see miracles and tender mercies on a daily basis. The lessons that I have been learning and will continue to learn are more valuable to me than anything I could ever imagine. I love you all so much! Have a great week!


Much love,
Sister Maughan

No comments:

Post a Comment